FileMaker Cloud 2.18.0 Help
Introducing FileMaker Cloud
What is FileMaker Cloud?
FileMaker Cloud® is a service that provides access in the cloud to custom apps (databases) that use FileMaker® Pro Advanced, FileMaker Go®, and FileMaker WebDirect™. FileMaker Cloud uses the FileMaker ID integrated sign-on system to authenticate users and is offered directly from Claris International Inc.
- FileMaker Customer Console is a web-based application for managing FileMaker ID accounts, groups, hosts, settings, and subscriptions.
- FileMaker Cloud Admin Console is a web-based application for monitoring and managing your FileMaker Cloud instance.
- The FileMaker Data API is an application programming interface (API) that allows web services to access data in hosted databases. Because this API conforms to Representational State Transfer (REST) architecture, the FileMaker Data API is a REST API.
- OData (Open Data Protocol) is a REST-based protocol for querying and updating data, allowing REST API client applications to access data in databases hosted by FileMaker Cloud.
- The FileMaker Admin API is a REST-based API that allows web services to perform administrative tasks on FileMaker Cloud products and FileMaker Server.
FileMaker Cloud hardware and software requirements are listed here: FileMaker Cloud Technical Specifications.
Monitoring and managing instances
To use FileMaker Cloud Admin Console, you must be a FileMaker ID team manager. See FileMaker Customer Console Help.
After you've created and set up your FileMaker Cloud instance, you use your FileMaker ID to sign in to FileMaker Customer Console. Then, on the Hosts page, click Go to FileMaker Cloud Admin Console.
You can also sign in to FileMaker Cloud Admin Console directly, using the URL for your instance.
Use Admin Console to:
- view information about the host, connected clients, and data usage
- view and upgrade the FileMaker Cloud version
- work with databases, backups, and clients
- download databases
- configure FileMaker Cloud settings
- download log files
- configure FileMaker Data API, OData, and ODBC settings
- discontinue your subscription
Use FileMaker Customer Console to:
- add and manage FileMaker ID users and groups
- manage settings for your team and its FileMaker ID accounts
- view information about your FileMaker Cloud subscription, and manage and upgrade your subscription
- download FileMaker software and license certificates
- update your FileMaker ID profile
Note:The language used for displaying FileMaker Cloud Admin Console and FileMaker Customer Console is specified in your FileMaker ID profile. To change the language, in FileMaker Customer Console, click your FileMaker ID user name, then choose Profile. In the FileMaker ID Account area, click Edit. Choose a language, then click Save.
FileMaker Cloud considerations
- FileMaker Cloud does not support custom FileMaker WebDirect homepages hosted on the FileMaker WebDirect web server. Custom FileMaker WebDirect homepages can be hosted on an external website, but the list of databases cannot be displayed dynamically.
- FileMaker Cloud does not support uploading a FileMaker Pro Advanced runtime solution.
- FileMaker Cloud installs the following Linux fonts: Liberation, Baekmuk Batang (Korean), IPA Gothic (Japanese), and WenQuanYi Zen Hei (wqy-zenhei) (Chinese).
- FileMaker Cloud Admin Console always shows time in UTC. If you want to use the local time zone, you must include the calculation (the difference between UTC and your time zone) in FileMaker Pro Advanced scripts.
- FileMaker Cloud does not support automatic login to a FileMaker Pro Advanced file using a specific account and password. If you upload a file and then change the file options in FileMaker Pro Advanced to specify an account and password, the file will not subsequently open in FileMaker Cloud.
- In FileMaker Cloud, the FileMaker Script Engine (FMSE) can only access the Data/Documents and temp folders. The FMSE is blocked from accessing a localhost port.
- FileMaker Cloud version upgrade and FileMaker Data Storage upgrade processes will take a few minutes. No clients can connect to FileMaker Cloud during this downtime. You should notify users to save their work and disconnect all users before initiating these processes.
- Before you initiate an instance upgrade, you should inform any users who might be signed in and ask them to save their changes and to wait for the process to complete.
- Your FileMaker Cloud instance is restarted once a day for auto-maintenance. You should inform users about the auto-maintenance schedule and advise them to save their changes and wait for the process to complete.
- By default, FileMaker Pro Advanced uses secure storage to encrypt container data that is stored externally. FileMaker Cloud uses FileMaker Data Storage for container data that's configured to be stored externally. For files hosted by FileMaker Cloud, you can't transfer data with secure storage to embedded container data. For information about secure storage, see FileMaker Pro Advanced Help.
fmsadmincommand line interface (CLI) commands are not supported in FileMaker Cloud. If you use the Perform Script on Server script step with an
fmsadmincommand in your script, you might see FileMaker error code 812, "Exceeded host's capacity."
- You cannot establish an ODBC connection if the source name contains extended ASCII characters.
- When you configure an ODBC source with the Microsoft SQL Server driver and a non-default port, you must append the port number to the server IP address (for example: